Wood-burning Stove Fire in Portland?
Heating Safety Tips
For a time, I lived in Portland with a wood-burning stove as my only source of heat. It was nice to hear the fire crackling away and to feel the warmth of the fire. It wasn’t until I had to inspect the roof for a leak that I noticed that the stovepipe cap was not fastened onto the roof - it was just propped up there with no fasteners! Wind could have blown the stovepipe cap off at any time causing a fire. Yikes!
Fire damage happens more frequently during the cooler winter months, but it can happen at any time. SERVPRO of North Portland / West Hawthorne has been mitigating fire damage in Portland for years. Here are some heating safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association to help prevent heating fires:
- Install wood burning stoves following manufacturer’s instructions or have a professional do the installation
- All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment like the fireplace, furnace, wood stove, or portable space heater
- Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month
When you need fire damage restoration services in Portland, SERVPRO of North Portland / West Hawthorne is Here to Help.